On January 4th, 2019, AViVA announced that she had a new song coming out with an image from BLACKOUT's trailer. Three days later, on January 7th, AViVA revealed the song's title, BLACKOUT. On January 10th, 2019, the release date for the song was revealed with the song's trailer. AViVA then revealed the artwork for BLACKOUT on January 17th. Lyrics from the song's chorus were revealed a day before the release of the song, on January 24th. BLACKOUT premiered and released on January 25th, 2019.
After the release of BLACKOUT, AViVA released a video of a live version of the song from the House of Blues in San Diego on April 11th, 2019. This video was released to YouTube.
Later, on August 27th, 2020, AViVA released THE LYRICS BLACKOUT and explained the meaning of the song. 
On March 4th, 2021, YouTube accidentally leaked the unplugged (acoustic) version of the song. After finding out about the song being leaked, AViVA officially released BLACKOUT Unplugged to YouTube.
"BLACKOUT is my commentary on society's suppression of the self and individualism. There is a lot of media, in a broader sense, that say 'Yeah, be you!' And that's all great- but it's not true. And, a lot of that kind of supportiveness is skewed: 'Be you, but be you in the way that we want you to be you.' And that is not a healthy way for any society to exist. So I guess, the song is about that and my opinion on that, which is that it is existing because they're afraid of what will happen if we all are unique. If people think for themselves, and are unique, it makes everything diverse. And diversity creates a healthy ecosystem, and that is a threat to the things that don't want change. Like the media. Like some different elements of our societies as a whole, globally.
So I guess what I'm trying to say is if it scares you, you're never gonna get it. And if it scares you, but you're excited by that and you want to do more, then you're already halfway on the path of being who you're meant to be."
-AViVA via THE LYRICS BLACKOUT on YouTube
- The cover art for the song was done by Max Prentis.
- AViVA revealed that her favorite lyric from BLACKOUT is "They're calling for your blood, they'll never get enough."
- She explains that the lyric is talking about media, being all things that constitute as media as a whole. She explains that this media becomes an abundance of things that we need to take in.
- BLACKOUT Unplugged was leaked by YouTube by an auto-generated audio for the song.
- While no one knows the exact cause for the song being leaked, many believe it was caused by a system error.
- The distribution link used in BLACKOUT Unplugged's description is DGAF Unplugged's link, instead of BLACKOUT's.
- BLACKOUT Unplugged has only been released on YouTube, similarly to CEMETERY Acoustic.